Monday, January 6, 2014

Daily Dose of Gratitude


In yoga, we practice SANTOSA, which means contentment.  According to B.K.S. Iyengar, "Contentment has to be cultivated.  A mind that is not content, cannot concentrate."  The yogi feels the lack of nothing (does not want) and so he/she feels naturally content.  Contentment gives bliss.

 Fifteen years ago, my husband dragged me across the country kicking and screaming so he could continue his education at Arizona State University.  I am forever grateful to him for his foresight.  Since that time, life has been a giant roller coaster ride of adventure, with every curve just as exciting as the last.  It's easy to be grateful for the big, life-altering events.  The real challenge is finding gratitude in the mundane tasks of day to day life.

Today I am grateful for: 
    
  • After two weeks of sleeping in, I am grateful for an easy start to the day.  Both kids arose without complaint and with positive attitudes about returning to school.
  • I am grateful to have been up early today to witness the beautiful sunrise.
  • I am excited and grateful that school is delayed by two hours tomorrow due to cold temperatures.  I was beginning to feel left out by the excitement of the Blizzard of 2014 that my friends in the North are experiencing...plus I get one more day to sleep in!
  • I am grateful that my youngest son didn't whine about going to baseball practice tonight and I'm grateful that this is the last month of agility training until the season starts. 
  •  I am grateful to my husband for agreeing to pick said child up from baseball practice so I didn't have to go back out tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment