Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Daily Dose of Gratitude

In yoga, we practice SANTOSA, which means contentment.  According to B.K.S. Iyengar, "Contentment has to be cultivated.  A mind that is not content, cannot concentrate."  The yogi feels the lack of nothing (does not want) and so he/she feels naturally content.  Contentment gives bliss.

 Fifteen years ago, my husband dragged me across the country kicking and screaming so he could continue his education at Arizona State University.  I am forever grateful to him for his foresight.  Since that time, life has been a giant roller coaster ride of adventure, with every curve just as exciting as the last.  It's easy to be grateful for the big, life-altering events.  The real challenge is finding gratitude in the mundane tasks of day to day life.


Today I am grateful for:
  • Although the high temperature today will only reach 40 degrees Fahrenheit, I am grateful that the temperature is not in the negative digits like my friends to the North.
  • I am grateful, despite not sleeping well last night, it did not affect my mood or productivity today.
  • While I am not happy the scales showed a 5 pound gain this morning, I am grateful for the nourishment I received and the experiences I enjoyed while slightly over-indulging on vacation.
  • I am grateful to belong to a gym I enjoy frequenting so I can work off the 5 pound gain!
  • I am grateful for the health of myself and my family.  Many friends are suffering from illness and disease.  I pray for their recovery and that they remain strong and positive during treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment