Sunday, January 5, 2014

Daily Dose of Gratitude

In yoga, we practice SANTOSA, which means contentment.  According to B.K.S. Iyengar, "Contentment has to be cultivated.  A mind that is not content, cannot concentrate."  The yogi feels the lack of nothing (does not want) and so he/she feels naturally content.  Contentment gives bliss.

 Fifteen years ago, my husband dragged me across the country kicking and screaming so he could continue his education at Arizona State University.  I am forever grateful to him for his foresight.  Since that time, life has been a giant roller coaster ride of adventure, with every curve just as exciting as the last.  It's easy to be grateful for the big, life-altering events.  The real challenge is finding gratitude in the mundane tasks of day to day life.

 Today I am grateful for:
  • I am grateful that my oldest son, admittedly not a fan or participant of team sports, discovered his enthusiasm for martial arts at a young age.  It is a great physical outlet for him, and helps to build his self-esteem.
  • More specifically I am grateful the have found Lake Norman Taekwondo and its wonderful instructors shortly after moving to Mooresville, NC.  We felt welcomed, making the transition of a major move much easier.
  • I am grateful my husband volunteered to do the grocery shopping today.  It gave me a couple extra hours to clean and iron his shirts!
  • The kids have been home from school for the past two weeks for Christmas break.  I am grateful to have had the time to spend with them, and if I'm being totally honest, to sleep in a few extra minutes each morning!
  • The kids have been home from school for the past two weeks for Christmas break.  I am grateful today is the last day and that our routines will go back to normal tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment